Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Two Weeks in San Fran, Day 3

July 5, Sonoma

Dave was back in the City working today, so I took the car and drove around a bit. Two places worth noting:

Tiddle E Winks "Vintage 5 and Dime"
Run by Heidi Geffen, "Proprietress", this little gem is just off the main square in downtown Sonoma. On the door is a sign that says "yes, it's all really old (except for the candy)" and it sure is. A bright, cheery store filled with old tchotckes from the 30's, 40's and 50's candy stores and beyone. Everything from Xray Glasses (remember those ads in the back of magazines for glasses that could see through clothing?) to sewing notions to flashcards. Reasonably priced from 50 cents and up. I took home a little cardboard game with two tiny balls you roll into the holes where a monkey's eyes are supposed to be. Cute!

Down the street, on the main drag, is the Spirits in Stone Art Gallery (a ridculously New Age-y name that I did not even remember until blogging this, and had I actually noticed it then, I probably would not have gone in) where I found the art of Wosene Worke Kosrof. A painter from Ethiopia, his work incorporates Amharic scipt (his native language) in contemporary abstract paintings. I felt honored to have seen a few of his originals in person in this space, I wish I could have afforded one. Instead, I picked up his brand new catalogue, "WORDS: From Spoken to Seen. The Art of Wosene Worke Kosrof" for $30. Worth every penny, it's 74 pages with many of them full color plates of his work.

No comments: