Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Two Weeks in San Fran, Day 9

July 11, Chinatown

Today was such a big day, I'll try to be short.

I was solo all day, so I walked to my favorite place in San Francisco: Chinatown. I think I'm addicted to the thrill of finding the coolest cheap bargains, without succumbing to all the same crap that every tourist spends unnecessary money on. Here's what I found:

$6 for a porcelain teacup with a removable porcelain strainer and a lid for brewing loose tea, but easier to clean than my collection of tea balls or my bodum tea press.

$4 for a paper lantern (ok, I caved and bought a very touristy item, but it was very beautiful and I'm going to hang it in my office)

$4 for a case for my sunglasses, another arguably touristy item but I was in need since I'd left my case at home and tossing the glasses in with my pens and such is killing them.

$3 for incense. Wait, that's touristy too. Damn.

$13 for a scarf that I thought I needed (it was COLD this morning) but it's actually too long, too heavy, and...well, just ugly. Bad investment, considering my score later in the day...read on.

After walking up and down Grant several times, I hopped over to Ross Alley for a peek at the Fortune Cookie factory as recommended by both my tour sources (see Day 8). It's a fascinating thing to watch, but they have a sign up asking for 50 cents for photographs and you feel very odd just standing there at the door watching. I thought they gave out free cookies but alas, they didn't look too friendly to me so I skipped asking about a freebie.

Along Stockton, on my hike back to the hotel, I discovered Fabric Depo between Sacramento and Clay, just before the tunnel. It's tiny, but I found some lightweight knit jersey fabric, 60" wide at 1.50 yard! Just like American Apparel's sheer jersey scarf, only for a grand total of 62 cents. Seriously. Plus some of the most fabulous fabrics, trims, and adornments for next to nothing.

The last stop on the way home was Brand Fury on Sutter between Jones and Taylor, with some of the best SF t-shirts around, if you must take one with you, all designed and silkscreened by San Franciscans. I got a Tenderloin one, because again, this area seems to fascinate and repel me.

Tonight was dinner with Evan Williams and Sara Morishige. But you'll have to read Dave's blog for that story...

No comments: