Sunday, November 11, 2007

Vision and Mission

I'm just coming off a weekend retreat for Do Good Consulting, (my sister's firm that consults for non-profits) where we spent heavy time working on things like mission and vision statements. It occurred to me, during this time, that my life changed rather radically recently and although I moved--with seeming purpose--to Chicago, I have felt somewhat directionless for awhile now. With new people and new experiences lately, I realized it was as good a time as any to come up with a personal vision (and mission) statement.

So, my new vision is this: stability while maintaining my independence. Stability both financially (which is what I was originally thinking) but also emotionally (since I often doubt my abilities). My mission, then, is to starting to network here in Chi for solid work in the place I now live, perhaps think about therapy to address some negative attitudes, while not caving into a full time gig for either (financial or emotional stability). I want to move toward more confidence in myself, which is why I want to learn some new things, too:

1. Crocheting. I want to re-learn how to crochet. I was taught last year, during the holidays by my aunt, but have since forgotten. I'm going to start crocheting with her, now that I live here again, once a week (or every two) in December. So, we're off!

2. Chess. I learned this, a long time ago, with Dave but he would kick my ass so quickly that I never really got it, or liked it. So I have a friend here who also wants to learn and I'm going to learn to kick his ass.

3. Tennis. Haven't played since I was a teen, at best, but Julie Jones introduced me to it a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. I am signing up for lessons starting in January. With Julie, hopefully.

4. Motorcycle riding. Tracy and I have always wanted to learn, I have a helmet and the motivation. So in the spring, we are taking lessons here in Chicago. Yeehaw.

5. Web design and programming. This is something that came out of the retreat--Do Good needs it, and it would make me more valuable in my industry. I need to learn, have for awhile, but the time is now. Looking for classes.

6. Journaling. Well, I ought to write more on my blog. So here I am.

It's my vision for the year, not necessarily life. I just need to have some direction for myself for awhile. I'm documenting this so that in a year I can re-read all this and see where I'm at. And 6 new challenges--I think this is enough for the time being.

Check back to see how I'm doing.

No comments: