Friday, July 21, 2006

Well, we sure are back

Wednesday it was 104 degrees in Saint Louis. No, I mean it, that's not an exaggeration. With the "heat index" (heat + humidity = heat index), it was up to 115. I got up at 7 to run with my neighbor and it was like we had walked out into a sauna.

On Wednesday evening, one of the worst storms to hit Saint Louis blew through, taking about half the city's power with it including ours. That night's rest wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad. Yet.


I got up, sticky and sweaty, in the morning (still no power) and spent an hour or so clearing large heavy branches out of my yard and my neighbor's, while getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. With no power, I ended up finding an office to work at (thanks Hughes!) and by the time I got home around 6, the heat and humidity started really getting unbearable. I spent an fairly uncomfortable evening sticking to the furniture and sweating while trying to read, longing for even just a fan to move the air around. Dave and I decided to watch a DVD on my laptop, since it was the only distraction and I knew I could power up again the next day.

The neighborhood, completely dark, was really really eerie.

My neighbor finally convinced me to join her at the Chase Park Plaza where her inlaws had an apartment and power. Dave opted to stay home (no idea why) but I couldn't do it. At 6:30AM the fire alarm went off at the Chase. We evacuated with an 8-year-old, a 2-year-old and a large, frightened dog.


So now it's Friday. Still no power at the crib. I went to work at Hughes again (thank god) and another storm rolled through, killing the power (and the project I was...grrr...right...in...the...midddle...of...!) temporarily here but cooling things down (so I hear, I've been in an office all day).

Power tonight? Not likely.

Power this weekend. We'll see.

God it's good to be home!

No comments: